Main Office:

Countryside Suites

1214 W. Northwest Hwy.

Suite H

Palatine, Illinois 60067


Contact Numbers:

Office: (847) 461-9373

Fax:    (847) 388-4832



Call now for a FREE consultation:  

  (847) 461-9373

                                                                      Jolanta A. Zinevich, L.L.C.
Attorney at Law ​​​


(755 ILCS 5/) Probate Act of 1975.

In situations where a child under 18 years of age need someone other than a parent to have legal custody over them, someone to control their assets, or both, it may be necessary to establish a guardianship.

Illinois law allows a guardian to be appointed for different reasons. A legal guardian has the same responsibilities as a child’s natural parent.

4 types of guardians:

  1. A “Permanent Legal Guardian” is responsible to feed, clothe, house and educate the child.
  2. A “Guardian Ad Litem” (GAL) is someone who the judge appoints to investigate the facts of the case.
  3. A “Standby Guardian” is appointed when a parent or guardian names the person who they want to care for the children if the parent dies or becomes permanently unable to care for the children.
  4. A “Short-Term Guardian” is a someone appointed by a parent or guardian to care for their child for 365 days or less.

A guardian is:

  • given legal responsibility for the care of the child;
  • appointed by the court; and
  • responsible for the child until removed by the court or until the child turns             18 years old.

A guardian is entitled to:

  • custody of the child; 
  • the right to enroll the child in school;
  •  the right to consent to medical treatment for the child; and
  • the right to apply and receive public benefits that may be available for the            child.

A guardian is responsible for:

providing food, clothing, and shelter for the child;
ensuring the child attends school;

paying all expenses unless child support can be obtained from the parent/s or the

child is eligible for public benefits; and

obeying all court orders concerning the child.

If a parent of minor children dies and there is no one else with parental responsibility for them, then the Courts will decide who is to be granted parental responsibility for the children left behind. If you wish to make this decision yourself and not leave it to the Court, you must appoint a Guardian.